DISCLAIMER

All rights of photos and text reserved. Usage of photos or text from my blog on other websites or for any other purpose only with prior permission. If you want to use any material from my blog please contact me by email.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Elrog ER300B update 3

Hi!

As mentioned in my previous update, I ran extensive tests on the new batch of tubes. I am happy to announce that the initial issue with the filaments has been solved and the tubes are performing well. Only a few tubes got rejected after I screened them all. From the resulting good batch I shipped tubes to the people on the top spots of the pre order list.







I already received some feedback from people who received their tubes and am happy to share this. Here the comments from Dan who listened to the Elrog tubes at my place and tested them in his Berning Siegfried 300B amplifier:






Like many others I was very curious to try the new tube, as thoriated tungsten is such a precious ingredient, right ? First I had the chance to listen to an Elrog 300B amp in Thomas' place and all I can say, one month later, it was the "best" sounding tube ever. Now I got a pair of tubes replacing WE 300B in Berning's Siegfried and the changes are not subtle, there is more soul and presence in the tonality, the sound has blossomed and the immediacy reminds so much of my old time favorite, a globe 45 NOS . There is no short breathing in the large orchestra reproduction, and the bass especially is in a different league now from the classical (soft) 300B. So, what can one tube glow addict do ... I ordered a new amp with 10Y (or 300b Elrog) driving the new wunder kid on the block.

Wishing all peace and love (yes music helps a lot)

Dan


Thanks a lot to Dan for sharing his impressions. It is great to know that the Elrog tubes show their strengths in such different amplifier concepts. There couldn't be a larger difference between my all transformer coupled design with passive PSUs and Bernings sophisticated OTL concept with switch mode supplies.





All remaining preorders will be filled from the next batch which is due to arrive beginning of next week. Tubes will get screened again rigorously towards my own standards.

You can place a pre order to get tubes from the third batch which should arrive in less than two weeks.

The price of the tubes is 975,- Euros per pair within the EU (including VAT) or 820,- Euros export price outside the EU. Payments can be done by PayPal or bank transfer. Send an email or call if you are interested my contact data is available under the impressum/contact link.

I will share more listening reports as I receive feedback from the initial ER300B users. Stay tuned!

Best regards

Thomas


2 comments:

  1. So now the new amplifier around the new Elrog ER300B sound better than your beloved 45 SET?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      Even with the Elrog 300B the overall sound will still depend also on the remaining circuit and driver stage. Mall time favourite amp is still the all silver 45/45. But a silver 300B/300B is in development...

      Delete